Photo Workshop in the summer: Suomenlinna – Islands of Light
With award winning travel photographer and author Tim Bird. Explore Helsinki’s fabulous sea fortress through the lens of your camera!
Spend a summer day exploring the limitless visual attractions of Suomenlinna, discovering new views and comparing notes with fellow photo enthusiasts. The English-language workshop tutor is Tim Bird, photographer and author of “Suomenlinna – Islands of Light” (Docendo 2017), a celebration in photographs and encounters with some of the islands’ most colourful residents.
Tim was awarded as Photographer of the Year by the British Guild of Travel Writers in 2012 and 2015, was Famous Place category winner in the UK Automobile Association Holiday Photo of the Year competition in 2008, and has been commended and regularly shortlisted in the prestigious Travel Photographer of the Year (TPOTY) competition. Originally from the UK and a long-term resident of Helsinki, Tim is a regular contributor of travel features and photos to the Finnair magazine Blue Wings and has written and photographed several books about Helsinki and Finland.
The emphasis will be on creativity and ways of seeing rather than technical issues, so this is not a “how to use your camera” course, although we’ll discuss and compare techniques where appropriate.
Choose a date that suits you best from three separate workshops:
- July 8 from 10 to 17
- July 29 from 10 to 17
- August 19 from 10 to 17
Workshop fee of €165 includes:
- Tutoring, assignments and experienced advice in a compact group (maximum 8-10 per group, 7.5 hours)
- With the group, use of a secure and cosy meeting room with all facilities in one of Suomenlinna’s historic buildings
- Coffee/tea and fresh Finnish pulla
- Buffet lunch at Suomenlinna’s Chapman restaurant
- A signed copy of Tim Bird’s book “Suomenlinna – Islands of Light” (Helsinki retail price €37-39)
- Entry to the museum at Suomenlinna Centre to view Tim Bird’s exhibition “Islands of Light”
Fee does not include:
- City ferry transport to and from the island (9.20 a.m. departure from Helsinki Market Square)
- Meals and refreshments not included above
- a camera (preferably a digital DSLR with a formatted memory card), a versatile zoom lens or favourite prime lenses, your favourite kit, including tripods and filters
- enthusiasm, open eyes and a sense of adventure!
- Suitable clothing for the weather (wind and waterproof clothes, protection from sun, good shoes)
How to guarantee your place at the workshop
- be quick and confirm your place at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please tell your name, phone number, e-mail address, special diets and information of your experience in photography
Workshops will be arranged if there are minimum 5 participants per date.