The Crownwork Ehrensvärd is the fortification of Suomenlinna, consisting of wing buildings with bastions between them. King Gustav III of Sweden laid the foundation stone of the crownwork in 1775.
The northern façade of the crownwork, its main line of defence, is made of granite and has embrasures for muskets and cannons. Either side of the gateway, in the low curtain walls, there is a sandstone ornament adorned with the Swedish coat of arms. During the Russian period, the crests in the coats of arms were ordered to be taken down, but this work was left unfinished.
Today, the Crownwork Ehrensvärd houses the office of the governing body of Suomenlinna, a daycare centre, residential spaces and two function rooms available for rent to the public: Pirunkirkko (‘The devil’s church’) and Pajasali (‘The smithy hall’).
How to get there
The Helsinki City Transport ferry operates to the main pier throughout the year, and from there crownwork is about 200 metres away. The waterbus stops at the Visitor Centre pier during summer. The crownwork is about 200 metres from the pier.