Opening hours and events
Islands of Lights – celebration on the Finnish Nature Day
On the atmospheric and historic sea fortress Suomenlinna, just off Helsinki, Finnish Nature Day will be marked on 26.8.2017 with a festival of light.
This event will give visitors a unique opportunity to see the islands in the evening darkness. Everyone is welcome to enjoy unforgettable moments in historic and natural settings, using headlamps for walking around in the dark and for safety. Part of the programme is held only in Finnish. Here is program that is free from language barriers
- From 4 to 6 pm: Meet nature photographer Tim Bird in his exhibition ‘Island of Light’ at Suomenlinna Museum and talk about photography, entry to the museum 7/4/0 € (adults, children 7-17 yrs, children under 7 yrs)
- From 8.30 to 10.30 pm a Night Photo Shoot Excursion by Tim Bird will be held in the beautiful island of Vallisaari (take JT-line waterbus from Suomenlinna Tykistölahti to Vallisaari)
- In the unique and exclusive night photo shoot session you have a great opportunity to get great shots looking back across Suomenlinna towards the city. For night photography, Tim recommends a good DSLR or mirror system camera with a long exposure (B) function, wide and long lenses, a steady tripod, and a remote release cable or app on your phone, and a discreet flash light.
- Fee per person: 30 €. Booking and more details: Contact Tim Bird at email@example.com.
- From 8.45 to 9.30 pm: Outdoor Concert and greetings from Nature Ambassador in Kustaanmiekka, the evening will reach its peak when during the concert shining moons rise above Suomenlinna and close by islands to illuminate their unique landscapes, free entry to the concert.
- Restaurant Walhalla at Kustaanmiekka (next to the concert area) gives a -20 % discount on all menus booked for the Finnish Nature Day, August 26. Please note that in order to get the discount, menu and table is to be booked by August 23.
Come and enjoy the magic of these Islands of Light! Take a look into the program in Suomenlinna sea fortress, bring your own headlamp with you. HSL ferry, and JT-Line waterbus takes visitors to the islands. Free entry to the event, tickets sold to guided tours and excursions.
Events in Suomenlinna, Vallisaari and Lonna will be realised in co-operation between Metsähallitus and Humak’s Lights On! project, the Governing Body of Suomenlinna, Lonna and other local partners.