The blue main route across the fortress runs from north to south via all the main sights. The route starts at the main quay in front of the Jetty Barracks and terminates at the King’s Gate. The length of the route is about 1.5 km (1 mile). It is marked with blue direction signs and is shown on the information maps as a solid blue line.
Information boards along the route provide information about the sights and their history. There are five such information boards along the main route, providing information about the Russian merchants’ quarter, Church Park, Great Courtyard, Piper’s Park and the fortifications of Kustaanmiekka.
There is an alternative route for wheelchair users, people with impaired mobility and those pushing prams/strollers/pushchairs. This route is not 100% accessible but it helps visitors to avoid some of the steep hills and rougher sections of the blue route. More information for people with impaired mobility.
Watch a video of the blue route.
Distances and walking times:
- Main quay – Suomenlinna Centre 500 m (1/3 mile) (10 min)
- Suomenlinna Centre – Piper’s Park 400 m (1/4 mile) (10 min)
- Suomenlinna Centre – King’s Gate 1 km (0.6 miles) (20 min)
- Suomenlinna Centre – Great Courtyard 200 m (0.12 miles) (5 min)
- Main quay – Submarine Vesikko 800 m (1/2 mile) (20 min)
- Main quay – King’s Gate 1,5 km (1 mile) (30 min)